IT In Marketing: 300% Web Site Improvement!
June 15, 2010
That title sounds a little bit like some sort of spammy e-mail doesn’t it?
Like many things, if you are being literal? That title is completely accurate – but figuratively?
Well, let me back up.
This post is the next in my occasional series introduced in this post titled; IT In Marketing.
The short summary – this series documents a pretty typical smaller business that does not have a marketing staff, and the relatively simple changes that can be made that will improve the website part of your marketing efforts.
In one of the previous posts in this series, I showed the steps of how I plotted a baseline, did some (free) website analytics and how I intended to tackle fixing our website content.
One key point that I previously mentioned was important to me; I did not want some 2 plus year project trying to rewrite the whole web site.
I wanted to modify it one page at a time. Write it, proof it, test it, then put it on the site. My goal being to refresh the content on one page per week. (the whole purpose of this series is that it is a part time thing right?)
I previously wrote that in the several months I was just monitoring traffic to the website – we got zero (none, nada, zip, zilch) visits to our site by people that found our website by the search engines – unless they were actually searching for part of our company name.
If you searched for: What is ABC Corp’s address
You found our website OK
If you searched for anything in our business space – well you didn’t find us.
Back to my weird title!
After just the second week, having only refreshed the data on only two web pages, I received three web site visitors that found us via the content we have – rather than just our company name.
I was able to tell our management team; ‘hey we got three!
When a co-worker reminded us that ‘three’ was 300% better than Zero!
You can get updates to this blog by clicking the RSS icon on the Home Page!